Seminar in Aspiration: Interview Ready

Interviews are your chance to make the very first impression. If you go in there a nervous wreck, completely understandable by the way, some...

Interviews are your chance to make the very first impression. If you go in there a nervous wreck, completely understandable by the way, sometimes your look can say what your words won't allow. I've always learned clean, straightforward, professional attire will favor you greatly in the interview room. But what about for the fashion forward? Are they supposed to sacrifice their personal flares just to get the job? For some, sacrificing such may mean sacrificing the confidence you'll need for the interrogation interview.


If your fashion sense is inherent then it maybe a little difficult to dial down the expressive qualities in your interview look. When I got this talbots pleated skirt (see below) I was excited to wear it with my denim button down, leopard loafers and color block bag. Sigh. Not for an interview. I opted for the closet staple crisp blue career shirt (courtesy of H&M) but looked for other opportunities to add my own personal fashion touches to the outfit without taking away from the integrity of a pristine professional look.

Bandolino Bag, Talbots Pleated Skirt, H&M Executive Shirt
I discovered these tweed pumps in my closet but barely remember when or where I got them. Paired with the bag, they provided just enough flare to get my confidence where I needed it for the interview.




Sophisticated Touches: H&M Bangle, Urban Outfitters Wrap Watch
I have adjusted this particular outfit to cater to a specific interview situation. At my most recent interview,  when I realized I'd be walking through SoHo (I live on Long Island so it would be a long trip), I chucked the heels and went with some leopard print ballet flats (which I found out is totally okay to wear to an interview as I was complimented on them walking into the room).  I also wanted to go for fun easy going touches and wore my YOT Watch (in black) instead of my UO wrap watch. I did however feel overdressed. But thats okay! Better to be overdressed than under. And despite knowing the work place calls for a casual dress code, I'd dress just as fancy for a second interview. Nothing wrong with dressing professionally for a position you really want, am I right?


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images