Loved and Lost

As I write this blog post a lone tear streams down my face. You see, due to my sheer carelessness and neglect I lost something I once held s...

As I write this blog post a lone tear streams down my face. You see, due to my sheer carelessness and neglect I lost something I once held so close my heart. An inanimate object yes, with no real sentimental value other than the fact that the thing kicked serious ass in its classification... an umbrella. Not just any umbrella, ModCloth's raindrops on railways umbrella: a clear plastic bubble umbrella with the NYC Subway map on it.

See what had happened was... Sometime last year I don't remember the exact date but I had an interview with a company around Union Square, New York. I prepared for rain and brought this wonderful brelly along. Once I got there I was instructed to leave my umbrella in the closet. After what I would call a successful interview, I left the interview without my umbrella in tow. Well, it must've been something in the air because afterwards I'd gone into Urban Outfitters to try on a pair of jeans I had my heart set on and waltzed outta there without my phone! It wasn't until I got onto the LIRR that I realized I'd left my umbrella in the closet... and when I reached for my phone to call them, I realized I'd left my phone somewhere too!!! Poor Brelly and Algernon (that's my phone). Lost and forgotten in a vast city without anyone to claim them.

I was able to take a trip to that same UrbanOutfitters that weekend but the office I interviewed was closed. Phooey. Well I awaited good news from them. Even called and asked when they'd have a decision. I showed the proper amount of interest in the job but also assured myself that I'd see brelly again. She was holding my spot at the job and she'd spend many a rainy days in that closet. Well... I didn't get the job. And I was heartbroken both about not landing a position I was really thrilled about but also never getting to see my umbrella again! I was a bit embarrassed to call and ask for my umbrella because I thought it was a bit petty and unbelievably materialistic to hound a job about something as insignificant as an umbrella. So... I let bygones be bygones and never called back...

In this overcast and rainy season, I can't help but think about what she's doing and who she's comforting now from the rain. I can't help but think about those warm and rainy days I'll spend without her this spring...

Sigh... oh what could have been...

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images